On May 15, 1843, eight people attended the first Catholic Mass in Dedham. It was held at the Slattery House and celebrated by Father James Strain of Waltham. As the town’s Catholic population grew from an influx of Irish mill workers, emigrating largely due to the Potato Famine, the community needed a place of worship. In this webinar, Dedham resident Jack Hoell discusses the construction of what is now St. Mary’s Church, the struggles of the parishioners to earn acceptance, and how other residents of Dedham bonded together to build a monument to the beliefs of the Catholic community in town. Listen to the webinar.